Head of Dispute Resolution
Shareholders and Directors Disputes
Richard Wadkin heads our dispute resolution team. He is active in identifying, assessing and managing legal risks for clients.
Richard enjoys a national reputation for his specialist areas of interest, including road transport law and shareholder and director disputes.
Richard manages complex, multi-party disputes in a calm and authoritative manner. Richard is typically involved in setting strategy and coordinating all aspects of this practice area; his expertise includes the following:
- Family business disputes and ‘high net worth’ family disputes, in particular complex disputes involving a wide range of assets (including business interests and real estate)
- Partnership disputes (with a particular interest in professional practices)
- High-value commercial contract disputes relating to the supply of goods and services
Richard brings detailed technical knowledge, and analytical skills to bear on client problems which, combined with his extensive practical and procedural knowledge and experience, produces consistent positive results for our clients.
Richard has a national reputation for both advisory and contentious work in road transport law, acknowledged by the legal directories as being a “recognised" and "thorough" expert in his field. He has been described in Chambers & Partners as "effective, well prepared and unflappable" and as “very detailed and thorough in everything he does: he makes sure every t is crossed and i is dotted". With over 20 years’ experience as a preferred external prosecutor for what is now the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), he is the solicitor of choice for referrals from UK transport consultants and a key advisor to a wide range of national and regional transport and logistics businesses.
Richard leads our transport-related dispute, regulatory and compliance practice, including in respect of:
- Operator licensing
- Tachograph offences
- Overloading offences
- Representing drivers and operators before the Courts and the Traffic Commissioner, and in Appeals to the Administrative Appeals Chamber (Transport)
- Transport and logistics policies and procedures
Richard is regularly featured in the road transport trade press, and in recent times more widely in trade journals with regards to transport matters in publications such as Commercial Motor.