Head of Employment
With over 20 years’ employment experience, Ian heads our nationally-recognised employment law team, providing employment advice to UK and overseas businesses seeking to set up or do business in the UK.
Ian acts for SME and public limited companies and has particular in-depth knowledge of manufacturing, travel and service industry requirements.
Ian has considerable experience in advising on large-scale TUPE contract transfers and complex shareholder disputes, where the businesses in dispute have values of several million pounds.
Ian relishes large, complex and difficult cases and has a proven record of achieving notable results for clients. Reported cases in which he has advised include the following:
- The Court of Appeal decision in Secretary of State for Trade and Industry v Bottrill  IRLR 326
- EAT case of Oakland v Wellswood (Yorkshire) Limited UK EAT/0395/08
- Sturdy v Leeds Teaching Hospital NHS Trust ET/1803960/07
Ian is a tenacious and effective negotiator, and he uses these skills to achieve outstanding results for his business clients as well as for individuals holding senior executive and board level positions. He is renowned for developing and maintaining strong personal relationships with his clients and for providing expedient and commercial solutions to HR and employment problems.
Ian leads our employment team’s delivery across all areas of employment related issues including:
- Recruitment, employment contracts, policies and procedures
- Disciplinary, grievance and dismissals
- Reorganisations and redundancies; TUPE and large-scale contract transfer work
- Restrictive covenants and team moves
- Shareholders and senior executive disputes
- Disputes within family businesses
- Employment Tribunal and Appeal Tribunal
Ian provides bespoke on-site training to HR professionals and business owners, as well as being a regular presenter of seminars and workshops. Ian is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.