Our CSR efforts
At Shulmans we recognise the importance of CSR and the role it has to play within our business and the wider community. We have a CSR committee which has representatives from all over the business who meet on a monthly basis to organise year-round activities for everyone to get involved in.
Examples of activities we have taken part in include:
- Leeds Legal Education Week - for five days Shulmans go back to school to visit primary schools in deprived areas.
- Shine Project - Shulmans colleagues work with the Shine Project to mentor 12 young women from the inner South Leeds area looking for employment.
- The Big Change Project - we are working with the Big Change Project to get involved in volunteering projects to help those on the streets in Leeds city centre.
- Social Mobility Foundation - we support the Social Mobility Foundation by hosting events for them such as the launch of their Aspiring Professionals Programme and workshops, the charity works to make a practical improvement in social mobility for young people from low-income backgrounds.
Our colleagues are also doing their bit on an individual basis. Many of them are involved in mentoring, or doing pro-bono work for various not-for-profit and charitable organisations.
Our 'Charity of the Year'
This year, our chosen charity is Leeds Mind. One in four people will experience mental health difficulties at some point in their lives; Leeds Mind promotes positive mental health and wellbeing, and provides help and support to those who need it.
Our fundraising activities throughout the year include:
- cake sales and other small fundraising events
- a Shulmans Charity Ball for colleagues and their families
- sponsored participation in sporting events such as The Yorkshire Three Peaks
Throughout the year, we also hold a dress-down day every last Friday of the month, for a voluntary contribution from colleagues for the benefit of our chosen charity.
The Leeds Community Foundation 100 Club – we are also proud supporters of the Leeds Community Foundation 100 Club. Our annual membership fee helps promote positive change in community groups across the city. Fundraising goes towards a range of projects from reducing social isolation in over 50’s to supporting young people with pursuing further education.
- May 2019 - Shulmans takes on the elements for charity 'Earth, Wind and Fire' challenge
- April 2019 - Shulmans raises over £8,000 for local charity Martin House
- October 2018 - Fundraising for Martin House
- October 2018 - Shulmans supports Holocaust Exhibition and Learning Centre opening
- May 2018 - Shulmans holds charity clothes drop in aid of Martin House Hospice
- February 2018 - Shulmans supports social mobility