Head of Planning
Amanda has over 20 years’ experience of planning, environmental, compulsory purchase and highways law. She is a qualified planner as well as a solicitor and leads the planning team.
Amanda is a leading individual in Legal 500 and has been rated in the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners directories for many years. She has most recently been described in Legal 500 as "superb with a keen eye for small detail and offers commercial and practical advice" and in Chambers & Partners as someone who is “client-focused, immensely approachable" and who "gives consistently practical and comprehensible advice to clients". Other quotes from the directories include “excellent and well respected”, “Capable of mastering complex and specialist issues", “Extremely pleasant to deal with”, “Knowledgeable in her field”, “Instils confidence with her straightforward advice” and “Praised for her wealth of experience and business orientated approach …. impeccable ability to work to deadline and her easy and calm manner with the client breeds confidence”.
Amanda has acted for a wide range of clients, including private sector developers, national infrastructure providers, residential developers and local authorities.
Amanda’s planning experience includes planning appeals, heritage legislation, planning enforcement, planning judicial reviews and legal challenges, Development Consent Orders, Section 106 Agreements, Environmental Assessment, Habitat Regulations Assessment and compulsory purchase. Examples of planning projects Amanda has dealt with include the following:
- Acting in connection with the Leeds New Generation Transport System;
- Representation to the Leeds/Bradford cycle superhighway;
- Strategic planning advice to a regional airport;
- Objecting to a Compulsory Purchase Order for the redevelopment of the Ealing Cinema site in Ealing, London;
- Acting in relation to a major (200 hectares) regeneration site involving phased residential, commercial and other mixed-use development;
- Acting in relation to a large residential and retail mixed-use scheme in Leeds;
- Planning appeal and legal challenges relating to a mixed use development for over 600 dwellings and 10 hectares of employment land;
- Green Port, Hull – the redevelopment of Alexandra Dock for wind turbine manufacturing plant purposes;
- A £57million new road linking a motorway junction to a regeneration area;
- Operational planning advice in relation to a national retail park portfolio.
Amanda’s environmental experience includes environmental litigation, waste management law, drafting and claiming under environmental indemnities and warranties, contaminated land liability, environmental permits and environmental due diligence. Examples of environmental projects Amanda has dealt with include:
- acted for United Utilities for many years on a wide range of planning and environmental matters including representing the company in the House of Lords on a case involving the interpretation of environmental legislation and its applicability to the waste water industry;
- Acting for a chemical company in relation to an environmental indemnity claim relating to nine sites in nine jurisdictions across Europe and beyond. Settled at arbitration;
- Acting for an international power company on applications for variations to existing planning permissions and environmental permits of a power station to enable a reconfiguration;
- Advising on planning and environmental matters arising in relation to the proposed construction and operation of two large bioethanol production plants.
Amanda is Vice President of the Leeds Chamber of Commerce, Chair of the Planning Group of the Leeds, York and North Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce, and a member of the British Chambers of Commerce's Experts Panel on Planning. She is also a member of the Leeds Chamber of Commerce's Leadership Group.
Amanda is an editorial board member of the Journal of Urban Regeneration and Renewal and the Regeneration of Volume of CIPSA/TIS Online. She is the author of the British Urban Regeneration Handbook, Planning and Environment Chapter, has published numerous articles and has spoken at professional events organised by the RTPI, TCPI, RICS and others.